Create a Grow a Row Seed Steward Program #SeedSaving #ClimateResilience #IncreasingReturns

Rebecca Newburn

We are putting out calls on NextDoor and to other groups asking people to grow out seeds for next year. We're asking if people are already growing things that they can let go to seed as well as if they are willing to volunteer to grow out things to seed where we provide the seed. We have a planting times guide (that a propagator for a local nursery helped us fill in) and I added some columns (in yellow) about when to plant for seed saving, when to expect a harvest, and comments. These dates are specific to the San Francisco Bay Area in California and will not necessarily be your dates. So see if you can find some experienced seed savers in your area to help you fill in the dates. Big shout out to Steve Peters of Organic Seed Alliance and Seed Revolution Now who is based in our area for giving us this information! Once again, you'll need to find people in your bioregion that can give you your dates.

If you are interested in creating a Grow a Row Seed Steward Program, then you can look at our and make copies of the document instead of starting from scratch. I recommend you find other seed libraries by you and do the work collectively at least for the Seed Saving Planting Times Guide. The Grow a Row Seed Steward program may be more locally based:

  • Seed Saving Planting Times Guide (Google Spreadsheet)
  • Fall Grow a Row Seed Steward (Google Form) - We turn on notifications so when people fill it in, we can respond promptly - I just went to get the link and someone else had signed up! Yeah!

    Reminder, we are offering two more Seed Saving in a Time of Crisis Class. NOTE: Times are for the West Coast of the USA

Seed Saving in a Time of Crisis

Thursday, Aug. 6 4-6 PM PST
or Monday, Sept. 14  6-8 PM PST Register

Peas and justice,