Question about how to save legume seeds #NewSeedLibrary #SeedSaving #SeedQuality #NativeSeeds #ResilientGardens

ghgiaoer

Legume seeds!

My question is about how to make sure that I am correctly preserving the variety.

I understand that I need to isolate fava but as far as other members of the legume family I am seeing mixed things. One site said that they are all self fertile and so they always save true but Mendel seems to have found otherwise at least for peas?

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing,

fava Vicia faba
peas  Pisum sativum and P s var
beans phaseolus vulgaris
field/crowder peas Vigna unguiculata
chickpea Cicer arietinum
winged bean Psophocarpus tetragonolobus
soybean glycine max
asparagus bean Vigna unguiculata ssp. sesquipedalis
hyacinth bean etc Phaseolus coccineus

What has me concerned is that they don't keep fertile for very many years, so the schedule is looking tight. I'm trying to steward more than 2 varieties of each type, so that is why I am trying to dig into the details.  Maybe I might be able to do 6 varieties of at least peas, field peas, and beans if I did an early and a late each year and isolated them from each other using time as the isolator.

year 1 spring  type a fall type b
year 2 spring type c fall type d
year 3 spring type e fall type f total of 6 types

Those of you who are stewarding multiple legumes, how do you arrange your rotations?

MANY THANKS!!!