Topics

Create a Grow a Row Seed Steward Program #SeedSaving #ClimateResilience #IncreasingReturns

Rebecca Newburn

We are putting out calls on NextDoor and to other groups asking people to grow out seeds for next year. We're asking if people are already growing things that they can let go to seed as well as if they are willing to volunteer to grow out things to seed where we provide the seed. We have a planting times guide (that a propagator for a local nursery helped us fill in) and I added some columns (in yellow) about when to plant for seed saving, when to expect a harvest, and comments. These dates are specific to the San Francisco Bay Area in California and will not necessarily be your dates. So see if you can find some experienced seed savers in your area to help you fill in the dates. Big shout out to Steve Peters of Organic Seed Alliance and Seed Revolution Now who is based in our area for giving us this information! Once again, you'll need to find people in your bioregion that can give you your dates.

If you are interested in creating a Grow a Row Seed Steward Program, then you can look at our and make copies of the document instead of starting from scratch. I recommend you find other seed libraries by you and do the work collectively at least for the Seed Saving Planting Times Guide. The Grow a Row Seed Steward program may be more locally based:

  • Seed Saving Planting Times Guide (Google Spreadsheet)
  • Fall Grow a Row Seed Steward (Google Form) - We turn on notifications so when people fill it in, we can respond promptly - I just went to get the link and someone else had signed up! Yeah!

    Reminder, we are offering two more Seed Saving in a Time of Crisis Class. NOTE: Times are for the West Coast of the USA

Seed Saving in a Time of Crisis

Thursday, Aug. 6 4-6 PM PST
or Monday, Sept. 14  6-8 PM PST Register

Peas and justice,
Rebecca

Justine

This is wonderful, thank you!

PCPL may want to explore this idea.

Cheers,

~Justine

This message and sender come from outside Pima County. If you did not expect this message, proceed with caution. Verify the sender's identity before performing any action, such as clicking on a link or opening an attachment.
*******

[...]

SeedLibraries.net

Hi Seedfolks,

It looks like I attached the Grow a Row Seed Steward Google Form twice. Here is the Seed Saving and Planting Guide for the San Francisco Bay Area. Once again, consult with local propagators and seed savers for local dates. This is meant as an inspiration. Feel free to make a copy so you aren't starting from scratch. Work with others in your bioregion to strengthen the work and support each other.

Peas and justice,
Rebecca

EBo

Do you have a list of plants/seeds collected in Maryland? I am working to source local seeds.

BTW, with any luck, I should have a bumper crop of A. syriaca (common milkweed) seeds this fall.

https://seedalliance.org/profiles/seed-revolution-now/ ) of Organic
Seed Alliance and Seed Revolution Now who is based in our area for
giving us this information! Once again, you'll need to find people in
your bioregion that can give you your dates.

If you are interested in creating a Grow a Row Seed Steward Program,
then you can look at our and make copies of the document instead of
starting from scratch. I recommend you find other seed libraries by
you and do the work collectively at least for the Seed Saving Planting
Times Guide. The Grow a Row Seed Steward program may be more locally
based:

* Seed Saving Planting Times Guide (
https://forms.gle/VhmA7emLDcda1uwEA ) (Google Spreadsheet)
* Fall Grow a Row Seed Steward ( (
https://forms.gle/VhmA7emLDcda1uwEA ) Google Form) - We turn on

-------------------------------
Seed Saving in a Time of Crisis

Thursday, Aug. 6 4-6 PM PST
(
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/seed-saving-in-a-time-of-crisis-a-how-to-class-tickets-113157438946
) or Monday, Sept. 14  6-8 PM PST Register (
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/seed-saving-in-a-time-of-crisis-a-how-to-class-tickets-113843593252
)

Peas and justice,
Rebecca