How many seeds per packet? #seeds

Jenny "Rocky"

Hi -

Our library system is doing a seed drive for our various seed libraries. Donations are coming in. Though I'm not a gardener, I am passionate about empowering folks when it comes to gardening and food security ... and so I am coordinating the seed drive. My question: is there a general rule of thumb for a suitable number of seeds to have in one packet? I could google each variety we receive and find out, but that would take more time that I can afford (see photo to see what I mean). I'm hoping to divvy up each packet so that each library gets a packet with enough seeds in it for a patron to be able to work with. I'm thinking, maybe 10 or 15 seeds would do the trick? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

Rebecca Newburn

I would say the amount you put in each packet depends on a few factors including the species, how many seeds you have, and the quality (germination rate) of your seeds. Normally we let people pack their own seeds from jars, but we can't safely do that during the pandemic so we had to pre-pack seeds. Our seeds were all new so we didn't have to take into account germination rates. We gave out what we thought people would reasonably plant in a season with maybe a little extra. This varied depending on the species. For example, we gave about 4-5 squash or cucumber seeds, 20-25 lettuce seeds, 20-25 bean seeds, 50-75 corn plants.

Peas and justice,
Rebecca

--
Rebecca Newburn
Pronouns: she/her/ella

I acknowledge that my home sits within the 'Huichin' land today that is the unceded traditional ancestral homelands of the Huichin, an Ohlone people.

Contact Me Facebook Flickr

Jenny "Rocky"

Thank you, Rebecca! As a layperson, do you have a recommendation of what might be a good source for me to research each kind of seed, that would indicate how much to use for "what people would reasonably plant in a season?" I was looking at the National Gardening Association plant database here as one option. Do you have other suggestions along those lines?

Thanks for the work you do at Richmond Grows!
Jenny Rockwell