Organizing a Seed Library #Other

Amelia

Hi everyone!

We had to remove our physical seed collection from the public when our library first reopened. We can make it available again and I'm curious to know how other folks have organized their collections! I currently have the seeds organized by plant family, but I know that other ways to arrange them are out there - I'd like to know whether the systems you all are using are working, and why.

Thanks so much!

Amelia

Pat

Hi Amelia,

We break ours into several sections: Flowers, Grains, Herbs, Vegetables. Then we organize sections alphabetically by common name: Arugula, Bean (these are further separated into bush, pole, lima, etc), Beet, Broccoli, and then by varietal name within each category. So Tomatoes would be alphabetized: Amish Paste, Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, and so on.

We do have dividers between each Vegetable category with basic seed saving (seed saving info taken from the Seed Matters chart and Navazio's Organic Seed Grower, iirc) and planting information. This way people have access to information including Genus species so they can be aware of what might cross.

Good luck with your seedy endeavors!
Pat
The Seed Library at the Round Valley Public Library.