Patented Seeds Disclaimer for Seed Library Signage #seedpatents

Christine Salem

I am trying to locate the recommended/approved legalese for disclaimer signage at our Seed Library pertaining to unintentional illegal distribution of patented seeds. Thanks for helping to point me in the right direction.

Justine

Hi Christine!

It’s linked from the Community Seed Network’s page: https://www.communityseednetwork.org/disclaimer-for-seed-libraries/

~Justine

Justine Hernandez, she/her | Librarian | Seed Library

Sam Lena South Tucson Library | 1607 S 6th Ave. Tucson AZ 85713

520.594.5268| Justine.Hernandez@... | www.library.pima.gov

CAUTION: This message and sender come from outside Pima County. If you did not expect this message, proceed with caution. Verify the sender's identity before performing any action, such as clicking on a link or opening an attachment.

I am trying to locate the recommended/approved legalese for disclaimer signage at our Seed Library pertaining to unintentional illegal distribution of patented seeds. Thanks for helping to point me in the right direction.

Rebecca Newburn

Thanks for your questions ,and Justine, thanks for posting the signage resource. In the past the issues the commercial seed companies were concerned with was that we may not be sharing true-to-type seeds or seeds that meet minimum federal germination rates. The sign doesn't specifically mention sharing patented seeds. So you can add in a sentence about don't share any seeds that have a "PVP" on the label standing, which stands for Plant Variety Protection. You could add in a note that we want to respect the hard work of traditional plant breeders. I'm going to pass this on to Bill McDorman of Rocky Mountain Seed Alliance who has been working on this issue to see if he has any particular language to include.

Peas and justice,
Rebecca

--
Rebecca Newburn
Pronouns: she/her/ella

I acknowledge that my home sits within the 'Chochenyo' land today that is the unceded traditional ancestral homelands of the Chochenyo, an Ohlone people.

Contact Me Facebook Flickr

Justine Hernandez

Would love to get Bill’s input ✊🏽

PCPL’s disclaimer borrow’s from the Richmond Grows disclaimer (thank you, Rebecca!). I thought it was the same one linked from CSN, but perhaps we accessed it directly from the Richmond Grows seed library starting page. Ours reads:

 Many seeds shared by the Seed Library were grown by community members with love and care like our ancestors have done for thousands of years, please know they may not meet state germination or labeling standards. We do not knowingly accept or share any seeds that are chemically treated, patented, or genetically modified.”

In community,

~justine

Sent from my Aye Phone

SeedLibraries.net

Hi all,

I have updated the signage using the language that Justine shared. Here is a direct link. As per usual, if any of you come up with better wording or improve on it, please share back with the community.

Peas and justice,

Rebecca